Why You Need The Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
Why Everyone Should Have The Chase Sapphire Preferred
I am often asked by those new to travel hacking, “what travel rewards card should I get?”. This is a tough question to answer without more information about travel goals, spending, credit score etc. but I usually reply with: “the short answer the Chase Sapphire Preferred is what I recommend”.
Obviously, different people can benefit from every card differently but if you are new to travel hacking and just want an easy way to travel for free without spending hours of research (like I do), Chase Sapphire Preferred surely fits the bill.
Why Chase Sapphire Preferred?
With hundreds of travel reward card options, why the Chase Sapphire Preferred?
- Huge 50,000-point signup bonus after 4k minimum spend (worth $600-$1000 in free travel)
- Very simple system to book travel, similar to a Kayak.com type search engine
- Flexible points meaning they can be used for Flights, Hotels and more
- Or transfer your points to partners such as United, Southwest, British Airways, Marriott and more (You can often get the most value redeeming this way.)
- 0$ fee the first year, only $95 after that
- Earn 2x points on travel, restaurants, bars, transportation uber and more
- No foreign transaction fees (huge for digital nomads and frequent travelers)
- Trip Insurance
- Rental Car Damage Waiver
- Lost Luggage Reimbursement
- Roadside Assistance
- Special Member events
- Product Purchase Protection
There are so many great benefits from this card and the best part its very simple and super beginner friendly. Chase point are currently the most valuable of any point system IMHO. Chase Ultimate Rewards points are flexible to you can use them to book a luxury hotel, a flight, rental car, activities or all the above. Generally, the best values are for redeeming flights.
You can also redeem your flights for gift cards, shopping purchases or even redeem straight cash. That being said, I never use these options as the rewards are greatly devalued compared to the travel rewards. To maximize the value of your points airfare is almost always the best option and occasionally hotels.
First Year free
Another great benefit of this card is the first year has no annual fee. It’s only $95 a year after that, which is well worth the benefits in my opinion. For those new to the travel hacking game, you may not be aware that its quite easy to call your credit card company and ask them to remove the annual fee (especially a low fee like $95).
Another great option is to call and pretend you are cancelling your card, stating you do not want to pay the annual fee. They usually will offer your annual fee removed or points that are worth the cost of it. A quick call is usually well worth it. I have had 90% success with this method so far.
There are so many so great benefits of the Chase Sapphire Preferred but this should give you a good understanding of why this card is so popular and why it should be in your wallet. If your ready start using the benefits of this card, apply here.
Disclosure: I may receive compensation or points for some of the links posted on this blog. If you do use one of my affiliate links I am very grateful for your support. After all, I can’t buy food or beer with points so your support is important to keeping the blog running. I publish this blog based on my opinion and what I truly believe to be the truth and will not change this to try to increase compensation. Thanks for your support!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
More Things to Know about CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERRED® CARD
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards